Roofing FAQ: New Roof And Re-Roofing Answers
* How do I know if I need a new roof?
The roof should always be checked. You should keep tabs of its state. The following are signs that you may need a new roof.
* How much does a new roof cost?
- Your roof is between twenty and twenty five years old.
- The shingles are excessively cracking, curling, or they are blistering.
- There are many shingles that are missing and/are torn or damaged.
- The roof is leaking in many places.
There is no definitive answer as to how much a new roof will cost. There are a variety of considerations needed before an estimate can be given. From that information, a price quotation or an estimate could be done.
Some of the considerations are:
- Size of roof
- Materials to be used
- Location of house (this is needed to determine which materials would be best for that area's weather)
- Is it for a new house or a re roofing
- State costs and taxes
- Type of home
After that, you can have several contractors bid on the project to get the best price.
* When re-roofing, should I peel off old layers or simply add a new layer of shingles?
It is recommended that you add a new layer of shingles to your roof. Scrapping the old layers will just consume more time and energy, and at the same time by peeling off, the thickness of the shingles are decreasing, leading to possible leakages in the future. By adding new layers of shingles onto your roof, it protects the inner part of the roof and provides you relief against further leakages. Obviously, it would be a lot cheaper.
* What kinds of questions should I ask a roofing contractor?
Getting a roof contractor to do your roof needs a little certainty and guarantee. You can ask the following questions to the contractor to erase doubts regarding his/her services:
* What kinds of questions should I ask references of a roofing contractor?
- Ask your roofing contractor questions with regards to their standing in their field of expertise. It will give you a hint whether they are really offering quality service to their clients.
- Ask questions with regards to their operation. This includes whether they have necessary permits and licenses to operate such business, and if they are carrying insurance in case there are unforeseen incidents that may happen during the construction.
- And lastly, ask questions with regards to the actual roofing constructions and the post-construction services and warranty. Inquire if they can explain to you in layman’s terms how they will construct your roofing, what materials are going to be used, and what services and warranties they offer in case leakages or damages happened to your roof within a time period after construction.
Sometimes, you need referrals from people who know the roofing contractor's work you are considering, especially when you are unfamiliar with that type of business. As the roofing contractor for references, especially from customers who have had work done by him. Questions like the following can be asked of your references of a roofing contractor:
- Initially, ask questions with regards to their relationship with the contractor. Maybe the contractor is a friend or a relative of your reference. That will give you an idea how well that reference knows the contractor.
- You can inquire if they have acquired the services of the roofing contractor. Ask them if they have personally witnessed the construction of their roof, and at the same time letting your reference talk about the quality of service.
- Lastly, ask queries on the reliability of their service, if it withstands the different outside elements surrounding the roof. In this way, you will have no doubt of the integrity of the contractor because the reference himself will tell all.
Roof Replacement near Platinum, AK 99651
Call 855-462-5515 Now!
Our expert Leak Repair Roofers provide Expert Roofing Services. If you have any questions or concerns about our service area, please give us a call today. We are competitively priced in this region from other roofing companies because we are confident that you will be thrilled with how your roofing project will turn out. Again, call today to schedule a consultation for your roofing job.
Obtain a Roofing Estimate
With regular maintenance and some care most roofs will have a considerable life of 15 years or more, but regardless of how careful you are in looking after your roof you will inevitably need to have a new roof fitted one day and it can be a large outlay of money, however, your roof provides an invaluable service to you, the house itself and the contents within it so it is important that you do not compromise the quality of your new roof by taking the cheapest quote around. The key is to shop around as much as possible. Get a roofing estimate from numerous different companies and make sure that you are comparing them on a like for like basis to get the best idea of which quote suits your needs.
Preparation before you request a roofing estimate
It is always important to do your research, especially if you know little or nothing about roofing. When you request a roofing estimate you want to be able to do so with confidence that you know what you are asking for. Searching the Internet will usually yield impressive results for your research and you can always ring a roofing contractor to ask a few questions; they will normally be glad to help in the hope they will be invited to work on the project. Try to research as much as possible regarding the potential materials and some basic building techniques that may be employed.
Picking the companies to give you a roofing estimate
Word of mouth is one of the most effective ways of finding good roofing contractors. This way you will already know that the company in question has done good work on somebody else’s house. Look around for houses that are having their roof done and ask the homeowner what they think of the work; if the work has been good they won’t mind telling you.
Compare on a like for like basis
When you have a list of quotes for anything, whether insurance or for your roofing work it is vital that you compare them on a like for like basis. This is why it is also important that you research the product you are looking to buy before you begin your hunt for the best roofing estimate you can find. If you have a quote from one company offering you two layers of slate shingles and an offer from another company only offering one layer it is immediately obvious that the latter is going to work out cheaper because they have lower cost of materials and lower labor costs.
You should always make sure that you clearly indicate what you want a quote for and this way whenever you receive a roofing estimate you will be able to quickly ascertain how it stands up to competition from other companies. A roofing estimate is invaluable in your search for the best value roofing contractor but only when used properly, otherwise it can do more harm than good.